Family Visa



Interpretation of the Australian Family Visa

Family Visa


There are many ways to immigrate to Australia. Family Visa is one of the ways to help family members and parents live in Australia for a long time and reunite with relatives who have become Australian citizens or residents.

Family Visa is generally divided into three categories:

  • Partner Visa
  • Sponsored Parent Visa
  • Child Visa

Each category is subdivided into different subcategories according to specific circumstances.

Sponsored Parent(Temporary) Visa


In April 2019, the Australian Immigration Bureau introduced a new Sponsored Parent (Temporary) visa(subclass 870) with a maximum validity of 5 years, allowing Australian citizens, permanent residents and eligible New Zealand citizens to sponsor their parents to live in Australia temporarily. After the visa expires, you can apply for a second 5-year visa. The visa does not require a family balance test, the application time is short, and there is no need to leave Australia multiple times during the visa period, which can ensure that parents can go to Australia and reunite with their children in a short time.

Sponsor’s Parent Application Requirements

  1. The applicant must be the biological, adoptive parent or stepparent of an eligible guarantor.
  2. Before applying for a visa, the sponsor must first obtain approval.
  3. Meet character and health requirements.
  4. Must purchase medical insurance.

Sponsor Requirements

  1. The sponsor must be an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen;
  2. The sponsor must meet the income requirements: the income of the previous fiscal year needs to reach 83454.8 AUD. This amount is the standard published in 2019 and can be the sum of the income of the sponsor and his partner, but the sponsor’s income must be at least half of the income;
  3. Meet character requirements;
  4. The sponsor must agree to provide parents with financial support, provide accommodation, and bear parents’ medical expenses;
  5. A family can only sponsor 2 parents at a time


Partner Visa

Prospective Marriage visa (subclass 300)

Prospective Marriage visa (subclass 300) is an immigrant visa type for Australian citizens, permanent residents or eligible New Zealand citizens who guarantee their partner to come to Australia to marry and live for a long time before marriage registration or cohabitation.

Specific Requirements

The visa must be applied for outside Australia, and the applicant must also be outside Australia when the visa is issued. It is generally valid for 9 months, within the validity period you can freely travel to and from Australia. However, during this period, the applicant must complete the marriage registration with the sponsor, either within or outside Australia, must come to Australia once before marrying the sponsor, and submit the Partner Visa application within the validity period of the visa.

Application Process

  1. Applicants need to be over 18 years old
  2. Meeting health and character requirements
  3. Know and meet your Fiancé(e)s
  4. Planning to marry your Fiancé(e)s
  5. Can be heterosexual/same-sex Fiancé(e)s

This visa mainly includes three categories:
1. Prospective Marriage Visa (subclass 300)
2. Partner (Provisional and Migrant) visa (subclass 309 100)
3. Partner visa (subclass 820 801)


Partner (Provisional and Migrant) Visa (subclass 309 100) & Partner visa(subclass 820 801) Application Requirements

The applicant must be a married/cohabiting partner (including heterosexual and same-sex couples), and this marital and de facto relationship must have existed before the application.

Regardless of whether the spouse registered for marriage in an institution recognized by the Australian Immigration Service or the spouse registered for marriage abroad, they meet the basic conditions for their spouse’s immigration. The common-law spouse must have lived together in the 12 months before submitting the application, and must provide credible documents.

The guarantor must be an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen over 18 years of age. They can only guarantee twice in their lifetime, and the guarantee interval is at least 5 years. If you have obtained a green card through a spouse visa, you also need to wait for more than 5 years before you can sponsor your spouse to apply for immigration.


Under normal circumstances, the applicant will first obtain a temporary visa, and after a two-year relationship inspection period and meet the corresponding conditions, the applicant can obtain a permanent residence visa. However, under certain special circumstances, the applicant may directly obtain a permanent residence visa. For example, the applicant has been married for more than 3 years or both parties have children when applying for the visa.


Child Visa


Children of Australian citizens, permanent residents, or eligible sponsors of New Zealand citizens and orphans of certain relatives can apply for a child-based immigration visa to enter and reside in Australia permanently. Children from overseas cannot automatically obtain permanent residency in Australia, so they must submit a visa application and pass the review by the Immigration Bureau before obtaining a visa. The most common one is the Child visa (subclass 101) applied abroad and the Child visa (subclass 802)  applied in Australia.

Child Visa Application Requirements

  1. Applicants can be the guarantor’s biological children, adopted children and step children.
  2. Applicant must be younger than 25 years old.
  3. If the applicant is less than 18 years old, he/she must be single, that is, unmarried, never had a common-law partner or be engaged.
  4. If the applicant is over 18 or under 25, he/she must be single, that is, unmarried, have never had a common-law partner or be engaged in a relationship, and are financially unable to be independent or a full-time student; meet the character and health requirements.
  5. The sponsor must be an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen with no criminal record.


Click one of our representatives below to chat on WhatsApp or send us an email to

× How can I help you?